• 0 Votes - 0 Average
Backup console
Arrow Swiss Offline

Thanks Given: 0
Thanks Received: 2 in 1 posts
Backup console

Hi

i have backup console questions.

We receive in short time a used Vector Red dual core machine to run our shows.

Is it possible to run the show file, made with the dual core Red, in case of a failure, on a single core machine?

When this is possible, using a Vector Green single core as backup machine, how many universes can be used with the console DMX ports and with Artnet?

How is the diffewrence from Artnet to the e-port41?

Many questions, i know. Thank you for your help.

Andreas
04-02-2012 07:51 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
Matthias Offline
Compulite Expert

Thanks Given: 2
Thanks Received: 18 in 16 posts
RE: Backup console

welcome, andreas :-)

(04-02-2012 07:51 PM)Arrow Swiss Wrote:  Is it possible to run the show file, made with the dual core Red, in case of a failure, on a single core machine?
sure, but only if you have the same software version on both systems.
in your case, the highest version is 3.19.r2 because 3.20 does not work on single core models.

(04-02-2012 07:51 PM)Arrow Swiss Wrote:  When this is possible, using a Vector Green single core as backup machine, how many universes can be used with the console DMX ports and with Artnet?
yes, you can use the green as backup. but care about the software version as described above.
you can use all 16 dmx ports (over vc and eport).
in general, due tu performance reasons, its not recommended to use more than 4 dmx universes over artnet!

(04-02-2012 07:51 PM)Arrow Swiss Wrote:  How is the diffewrence from Artnet to the e-port41?
here in some simple words:
compulite "vc" network: its the vendor-specific, fast ethernet protocol to handle communication between consoles and dmx nodes. this is highly recommended in a compulite environment.
artnet: its just "dmx over ethernet" which uses much more performance then vc, but is more compatible to 3rd-party-systems like media-servers, dimmers, some (new) fixtures, ...

my suggestion:
if you need a backup-solution for your show, use the red on 3.19.r2 software, connect the green (also on 3.19.r2) as backup-console in the same network, and output all dmx data over a seperate vc/eport.
so 1 console can break, the eport still receives the data from the other one without down-time.
single point of failure: the eport (!)
or output directly from the console but in case of a failure you have to re-connect your wires to the other one ;-)

the decision about using artnet depends a lot on the whole environment, but i recommend using it only when it is neccessary (media server, ...)

best regards, matthias

Matthias Schöffmann, Austria
http://www.mschoeffmann.com
04-03-2012 02:10 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
kernfusion Offline

Thanks Given: 0
Thanks Received: 0 in 0 posts

Na dann Gratuliere für die Rote Occasion;-)

Aus Erfahrung in der Vergangenheit würde ich auf ein Backup, dass nicht wie die Master Console ist aufpassen. Unsere Erfahrung mit Single und Dualcore Maschinen waren nicht so gut, darum haben wir dann auch alle konsolen auf Dual geupdatet.

Wenn es kein 1:1 Backup sein muss und du nur eine Single Variante hast, dann würde ich eine PC Version vorziehen, wo du für wenig Geld auch einen aktuellen Processor hast (i5, i7). Warscheinlich aber schon im Lager irgend wo vorhanden?

Wir haben in den letzten 10 Jahren während den Shows noch nie ein Backup gebraucht. Und die Software Entwicklung bei Singlcore Maschinen wird auch nicht mehr gleich weiter geführt wie bei Dual Core Maschinen, so nehmen ich an.

Viel Spass beim Drücken,
Matthias

kernfusion_design GmbH
http://www.kernfusion.ch
04-24-2012 07:48 AM
yoshi Offline

Thanks Given: 1

Hi, Matthias.
I think single-core-Orange can drive 3.20, am I wrong?

[/quote]
sure, but only if you have the same software version on both systems.
in your case, the highest version is 3.19.r2 because 3.20 does not work on single core models.
05-01-2012 11:55 AM
Find all posts by this user Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
Matthias Offline
Compulite Expert

Thanks Given: 2
Thanks Received: 18 in 16 posts

Quote:I think single-core-Orange can drive 3.20, am I wrong?

this is correct but according to the current release notes (http://www.compulite.com/downloads/Vecto...0.R01.pdf) the orange is only supported with a few hardware limitations.

Matthias Schöffmann, Austria
http://www.mschoeffmann.com
05-02-2012 12:10 PM
yoshi Offline

Thanks Given: 1

(05-02-2012 12:10 PM)Matthias Wrote:  
Quote:I think single-core-Orange can drive 3.20, am I wrong?

this is correct but according to the current release notes (http://www.compulite.com/downloads/Vecto...0.R01.pdf) the orange is only supported with a few hardware limitations.

My goodness!
05-10-2012 03:58 PM
Find all posts by this user Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply