• 0 Votes - 0 Average
Idea: handle "Virtual RGB Dimmer" and other virtual channels
Matthias Offline
Compulite Expert

Thanks Given: 2
Thanks Received: 18 in 16 posts
Lightbulb Idea: handle "Virtual RGB Dimmer" and other virtual channels

Hi guys,

there was often a discussion about how to handle the RGB device with a extra master channel.

what about this idea:
a special "feature" (like dimmer, color, ...) in the device builder.
this is called "virtual master" and can be dragged to the device after the last "real" offset.
this "virtual master" is NOT sent out as real DMX value. in the offset settings a user can select the affected offsets.
for short: a offset-submaster in the device-layer.

EXAMPLE: RGB-Device has 3 real DMX channels
#1: Red
#2: Green
#3: Blue
#4: Virtual Master called "Master" affecting offset 1+2+3

EXAMPLE: Simple Moving-Profile-Spot has 7 real DMX channels
#1: Dimmer
#2: Pan
#3: Tilt
#4: Blade A
#5: Blade B
#6: Blade C
#7: Blade D
#8: Virtual Master "Max. H Blades" affecting offset 4+6
#9: Virtual Master "Max. V Blades" affecting 5+7

IMPORTANT:
the "console" must see this channel like any other channel, and not like the "Virtual Dimmer" of RGB devices which just a single encoder wheel for 3 encoder wheels ;-)

ADVANTAGES:
- its not limited to rgb offsets, everything can be configured in the device (rgb master, max. pos of blades, ...)
- affected offsets and masters are stored independent: for example 1 qlist for rgb effects and 1 qlist for dimmer/chase effects independent from running rgb effect
- it can be configured by users in the device manager

Matthias Schöffmann, Austria
http://www.mschoeffmann.com
01-07-2012 12:53 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
alon Offline
Compulite Expert

Thanks Given: 0
Thanks Received: 11 in 4 posts
RE: Idea: handle "Virtual RGB Dimmer" and other virtual channels

Hi Matthias,

This sounds like a very good idea. The aim is to make the Virtual Dimmer as flexible as possible. You call it Virtual Master because you don't necessarily want to have it only for Intensity Parameters, which is even better.
We are already thinking about the next generation of consoles and I have it on my lists. Unfortunately, I can't see this happening for the current Device Builder and even if Yes, not within 2012.

However, if we are discussing Virtual Dimmer here, we are about to implement several improvements to the functionality of the Virtual Dimmer for RGB parameters.

The main updates will be the addition of new Parameter Types to the Device Builder (White and Amber) and apply the VD onto multiple layers of RGB (currently it is affecting only the first layer).
Besides, some fixes have been already made to the functionality of the Inhibit Sub-Masters so they will affect all RGB parameters.
01-12-2012 10:12 AM
Find all posts by this user Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
Matthias Offline
Compulite Expert

Thanks Given: 2
Thanks Received: 18 in 16 posts

ok, nice to hear that ... :-)

but please add white+amber also for single core desks because newer devices should be also working on single core desks, and i think this part should be still supported in the future...

Matthias Schöffmann, Austria
http://www.mschoeffmann.com
01-12-2012 11:33 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
Moshiko Offline
Compulite Expert

Thanks Given: 3
Thanks Received: 0 in 0 posts

Hi Alon
That's what I always wanted and still want to, and I really hope it will be fixed in future
Thank you

salutBig Grin
(This post was last modified: 01-24-2012 09:44 PM by Moshiko.)
01-24-2012 09:41 PM